Development & Finance Director
Oakland, CA: Seeking a nonprofit Development & Finance Director who believes in the power of story and imagination for social change.
Center for Story-based Strategy (CSS) is a national movement-building organization dedicated to harnessing the power of narrative for social change.
Center for Story-based Strategy (CSS) is seeking an experienced Development & Finance Director who can help us increase our annual budget to accommodate our growing, in-demand story-based strategy trainings and movement-building work.
This is a new, full-time exempt, senior-level position. The position will start with a 3-month probationary period to determine fit.
We invite you to join our creative and powerful team!
1. Fundraising & Development
- Facilitation and development of annual Fundraising Plans, and project management of all fundraising activities, including foundation fundraising, fundraising appeals and special events
- Lead and facilitate the CSS fundraising team, including coordinating the Board fundraising committee
- Funder cultivation, relationship management, and communications, including planning and coordinating funder briefing events when applicable
- Lead process for writing grant proposals and reports, including some grant writing
- Grants management, including tracking deadlines and deliverables
- Manage major gifts and grassroots fundraising programs
- Represent CSS’s mission in meetings with funders and donors, and at networking events
- Manage fundraising-related coordination, including prep & scheduling for Directors
2. Financial Direction
- Serve as Chief Financial Officer: direct the Operations Manager and accountants to ensure the accuracy of all accounting, cash flow, and financial reports
- Present financial reports and provide financial analysis to organizational leadership (including Board of Directors) in all financial-related decisions to maintain healthy fiscal status of organization
- Direct the development of organizational annual budget, ensuring a transparent and inclusive resource allocation process based on team-set annual priorities
- Lead Revenue-tracking meetings/processes to ensure income goals are met
- Support Operations Manager in regular tracking of budgets v actuals
- Oversee final versions of tax filings and financial audits
3. Supervision & Leadership
- Serve as a member of the Organizational Management Team with other key organizational directors
- Supervise additional grant writers and other potential development and finance staff
The Development & Finance Director will be integrated into a strong organizational culture (as appropriate relevant to areas of responsibility) of regular internal communications, organizational development meetings, and mechanisms to promote ongoing team-building, smooth and transparent information-sharing, and alignment with organizational values.
Who We're Looking For
Ideal candidates have 5+ years experience in nonprofit Development & Finance; have successfully cultivated new funders and have been awarded multi-year foundation grants; have managed multi-year annual budgets of $750k or more; and understand that fundraising is organizing.
CSS seeks applicants committed and excited about supporting social justice issues in diverse multiracial, cross-sectoral movements. We want creative, bold, imaginative applicants; team players with the ability to manage stress and find the opportunity in the crisis; hard workers with excellent time management skills who deliver high quality results on tight timelines; and people with a demonstrated commitment to fundamental social change.
- Embody a strong belief in the CSS mission, work within the framework of CSS values and commit to CSS goals and Theory of Change
- At least 3 years experience in both nonprofit Development and Finance
- Ability to read and analyze financial reports
- Successful grant-writing experience
- Manage and work daily with both a long and short term perspective
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to stick to deadlines and follow through on commitments
- Familiarity with Google Calendar and Google Docs/Sheets
- Must work from Oakland office during regular office hours (M-F between 9-5); some flexible work-from-home days permitted
- Experience and cultural competency working in diverse environment
- Some travel for meetings or events required
Additional Valuable Skills
- Experience with Salesforce
- Proficiency in Quickbooks
- Experience working with remote teammates
- Familiarity with story-based strategy
- Bilingual Spanish-English speakers
$68-78k annual salary dependent on experience; comprehensive benefits package including 100% employer-covered medical, dental, vision, wraparound coverage; paid holidays, vacation and sick time; stipends for cell phone, self-care, and supplies/technology, among other benefits.
How to Apply
Send resume/CV, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “[Your Name]: Development & Finance Director” in the subject line. Please include in your cover letter why you are interested in working with CSS, and your qualifications for the position. Please send your application materials in PDF format, with your last name in each file name.
Position start date negotiable between July-September 2018.
Position open until filled — we encourage you to apply immediately, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Center for Story-based Strategy (CSS) is a values-based organization with a deep commitment to building transformative culture and challenging racism, sexism, homophobia and oppression in all its forms. CSS is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds and challenging historic patterns of political marginalization and oppression. People of Color, working-class people, differently-abled people and LGBTQ persons are strongly encouraged to apply.